1. Aquaman, swimming at maximum speed, heading down, into the depths of the ocean, unadulterated fear playing across his face. The water is dark; murky, unnaturally so - and chunks of debris are drifting with the currents.
- - Superman averted a global catastrophe yesterday when he demolished asteroid 2010 XF14 from colliding with Earth.
2. Cut to the JLA Watchtower - FLASHBACK (consider alternate color palette). Batman is standing, speaking in front of Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, and Aquaman - who looks rather disinterested, stifling a yawn.
On a related note, NASA has detected over a sixteen NEO's* within nine lunar distances or less over the last last twelve months - but the misses are getting nearer. These aren't armageddon-level threats, but it's worth noting that an asteroid of just 140 meters could deliver an impact energy of 300 megatons of TNT; more than enough to wipe out a major city.
*EDITORS NOTE: NEO = NEAR-EARTH OBJECT
3. Batman's still talking, but Aquaman has risen from his seat.
We've no idea what's caused the surge in NEO's, but Superman and Green Lantern have agreed to monitor the situation carefully, and will be our prime defense against - -
The meeting hasn't been adjourned.
4. On Aquaman; he's not looking antagonistic, but there's a sternness to his expression.
I have a kingdom to oversee. That is my primary concern.
You look after the skies, Superman. I'll manage the waters.
That's always been the strength of the league, after all.
We each have our specific roles to play - -
5. Cut back to the present - Aquaman's stopped swimming, he's just floating, looking down at something we can't yet see, in a state of shock, horrified at the sight.
- - and as long as we do so, we'll keep the world and all of its inhabitants safe.
6. Tight on Aquaman; he's angry, snarling.
This page would be followed by a double-page-spread of Atlantis in ruins; the consequence of an NEO.