1. Establishing shot of the Baxter Building, outside of which stand protestors, fists pummelling the air, brandishing hastily concocted signs. There are camera crews about, capturing the scene. A female news reporter stands amidst the crowd, speaking into the camera, epitomising composure.
--with the country gearing up for midterm elections next week,
science is on the firing line—
2. Cut to inside the Baxter building, where the Fantastic Four – notably absent of Ben Grimm, The Thing – are watching the reporter on a monitor. Johnny Storm is staring absent-mindedly at the reporter, barely interested; as opposed to Reed and Sue, watching the coverage with stony-faces.
--hundreds of New Yorkers standing outside the Baxter Building
protesting against what they consider wasteful government expenditure
on scientific research, at a time when the citizens of this country
are being pummelled by the effects of the worst economic
slump since the 1930’s.
3. Cut back outside, and we’re looking at the reporter again. Her eyes flare in recognition as she identifies someone off-panel.
These people want to know where this money is going, and - -
Hey, isn’t that - -
4. The Reporter is making a dash for The Thing, in his overcoat and hat. Thing looks deflated when he realises he has been spotted.
Sir! Mr. Grimm!
Are you here to make a statement?
5. The Reporter get’s right in Thing’s face. He looks bemused by the whole thing.
What do you make of these people’s accusations?
Is too much money being spent funding science when everyday
folk like these continue to suffer?
No, it ain’t right—
6. On Thing, speaking into the camera.
Science made me what I am, and science has
given me what I have, but science ain’t gonna fix
what’s wrong with these folks.
I don’t have the answers, but
all’s I know is I’m gonna do what I got to in order to
help as many of these people as I can, and I can’t
do that sittin’ up there.
7. Back in the Baxter Building, where the three other members of the Fantastic Four are watching this on their monitor. Reed looks exasperated, Johnny is now entranced and Sue has her head in her hands.
And I would encourage my team mates to do what
they can, too.
NEXT: THE THING GOES TO WASHINGTON!