Premise: The Guardians of the Globe has been battling their latest threat, The Grey Sun. He seems nigh invulnerable to all of their attacks. However, his costume is not. The Grey Sun’s mask has just been torn off.
1. The Guardians of the Globe (Brit, Outrun, Kaboomerang, Yeti and Bulletproof) and Atom Eve stand looking on, all in shock. Atom Eve is at the forefront of the group, looking the most surprised of them all.
His mask is off.
No it can’t be!
2. A confident, more muscular Mark Grayson stands triumphant. There a few scratches to his face, however nothing which indicates that the Guardian’s attacks has had any effect on him. Mark looks down at his opponents and former friends. His stern face and cocky smirk tells us this is not the same person they once knew.
ATOM EVE (off panel)
Mark? I have transcended ‘Mark’.
I am the day before your darkest night. I am The Grey Sun. I am-
VOICE (off panel)
A horrible pun.
3. The Grey Sun is knocked back by a heavy punch thrown by Invincible. Mark Grayson Invincible.
4. Mark Grayson/Invincible stands in a very similar pose to that which The Grey Sun was standing, but is facing the opposite way. A mirror image, with Invincible’s blue and yellow of his costume a sharp contrast to The Grey Sun’s bleak and dark.
Clone? Robot? Alternate version? Long lost evil twin brother?
What exactly are you, Grey Pun?
5. A side view of Invincible looking forward in shock as The Grey Sun punches a hole right through his stomach. His bloody fist visibly protruding through Invincible’s back.
It's got the time duality of his upcoming the Infinite, it's got a gory fist through a body panel, and...well, this might not be Kirkman but it's got a great set up to a wicked final line. This is well played.
The major change I'd make is drop the first panel, it would work better as the end of the previous page and without it here we haven't lost anything but only gained room for more bloody fist.
I'm amused by how when it comes to your choice, and one of the main things you point out about him is that his comics is fun, you then go ahead and beat up on/try to kill him.ReplyDelete
Punching people through the gut IS fun.ReplyDelete
See, I see the punch through the gut thing as more a Millar trick. You had me up till then!ReplyDelete
Reading through some of the series, punching through the gut makes lots of sense to me. It seems like it happens all the time!ReplyDelete
I like the page and I like the idea. Certainly alternate Mark Graysons happened, but it happened so fast that the series never really dealt with the personal difficulties that would be involved with that. I like that you've taken a page to start scratching at that surface. Kudos on that last line.