Exterior, night, suburban neighborhood. Scully and Mulder walk quietly through the night, flashlights in hand. The street and sidewalks are deserted except for the two of them.
1. Scully: This is hopeless, Mulder. It was probably just some voyeur with a strange predilection for dressing as an animal.
2. Scully: There is no “possum-man”. Just a sad man, with a sad compulsion that probably skipped town as soon as the authorities showed up.
3. Mulder: Perhaps, Scully.
Mulder looks out into the darkness as he talks at Scully. Scully rolls her eyes as she listens.
4. Mulder: But there are legends of skin-walkers. Men who could adopt the guise of the very animals they worshiped. Those who weren't constrained to the likeness of man. They--
Mulder and Scully both turn toward a noise that was coming from a nearby house, shining their flashlights in the direction.
5. SFX (op): Clang!
The light of the flashlights illuminates a possum. The possum sits atop a metal garbage can staring back at the flashlight source, eyes glowing from the light. There are also some large hedges near the trashcan.
6. Scully (op): See Mulder. No skin-walkers here. Just regular old vermin.
Viewed from the direction of the possum. Mulder and Scully walk away from the house. Behind the hedges of the previous panel can be seen the silhouette of a large man-shaped creature, with a pointed face and hands with claws.
7. Mulder: Maybe you're right. Nothing here but picket fences and bored suburbanites.