A girl, around 12, trudges out the front door of a house. She has a large puffy jacket and a dour expression on her face. Her hands are in her pockets as she is looking toward the ground. Yelling issues from inside the house.
1. VOICE #1 (shout, inside house): He isn't qualified to run anything bigger than a bowling alley!
2. VOICE #2 (shout, inside house): He's better suited than that crooked loser!
The girl sits on a bench next to the sidewalk. Fall leaves are strewn across the ground. Her hands are still in her pockets.
3. GIRL (thought): I'm thankful for quiet moments.
The girl chews, her one hand holding a roll and the other holding a napkin wrapping of more food. A stray dog walks up to where she sits on the bench.
4. GIRL (thought): Mhmm...and rolls.
The dog looks up at her with big, sad eyes. It is begging for a meal.
Similar to panel 3: The girl chews, her one hand holding a roll and the other holding a napkin wrapping of more food. The stray dog sits at her feet, chewing on a roll.
5. GIRL (thought): And new friends.
- END -